Wheels keep rotating, after retracting landing gear

Discussions and general chat

Moderator: RussDirks

cvj

Wheels keep rotating, after retracting landing gear

Post by cvj » Fri May 07, 2004 4:22 am

I am using FS Force with a MS Force Feedback 2 joystick.

After retracting the landing gear in my PMDG 737, the wheels keep rolling (and the stick shaking) until I re-initialize. Happens most of the time, not all the time.

Bug or feature?

RussDirks
Site Admin

Post by RussDirks » Fri May 07, 2004 8:41 am

I guess you mean after lift-off, rather than after gear retraction, right?

No that's not a feature. Sounds like an intermittent compatibility problem between FS Force and the PMDG. All I can suggest for now is to keep using the re-init function to get you out of that situation.
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

Nikki

Post by Nikki » Fri May 07, 2004 10:46 am

Russ,

I fly sailplanes about 90% of the time and the same ground roll bumps mentioned above continue (after in the air) until I hit Ctrl-O. I also have a problem with the program remembering the profile for the sailplane I fly most of the time, even though the box is checked for the program to use this profile with this plane. Outside these two annoyances, the program appears to function very well and give my stick good, adjustable forces for the planes.

Bill

PegAir

Post by PegAir » Fri May 14, 2004 10:02 pm

Excuse me if this is obvious but have you tried hitting the brakes?

In real aircraft with retractable wheels you are supposed to hit the wheel brakes before retracting.

cvj

Back again - re stick shaking after takeoff and aftet gear r

Post by cvj » Thu May 20, 2004 6:58 am

I have now had time to check most of the default MS aircraft - and unfortunately, I have the same problem with all of them as I have with the PMDG 737.

After takeoff - and then gear retraction - the stick keep shaking until I re-initialize FSForce.

I have re-installed FSForce - did not help.

I am using WindowsXP and MS Force Feedback 2 joystick.

I hope someone can help me with this as it is really distracting to have to re-initialize every time .....

Is there a way to limit this kind of shake to say a certain time after liftoff???

I now presume this is a bug - but since no one else have reported I am at a loss.

Thanks in advance!

RussDirks
Site Admin

Post by RussDirks » Thu May 20, 2004 10:23 am

Could you describe the shaking? I'm wondering if what you're feeling is the pavement groove effect (a regular, light, bump bump bump which varies with ground speed), or something else. Do you have rudder pedals? Try unhecking "Trigger is Brake" in the Profile Manager.

Also, try using the virtual aircraft in the Profile Manager, and see how that compares to actually using FS Force in MSFS. To access the virtual aircraft, just edit one of the profiles. You can vary your speed with the joystick throttle, and land and take off with the on-screen controls. Do you experience the same problems with the virtual aircraft.

Does everything work normally after the re-init?

As usual, I always recommend making sure your drivers are up-to-date for your video card AND your sound card.
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

cvj

Post by cvj » Fri May 21, 2004 5:58 am

Dear Russell,

Thanks for your quick reply. Here are my answers to your questions:

>Could you describe the shaking? I'm wondering if what you're feeling is >the pavement groove effect (a regular, light, bump bump bump which >varies with ground speed), or something else.

After re-checking, I am pretty sure it is the pavement grove effect.

>Do you have rudder pedals?
Yes

>Try unhecking "Trigger is Brake" in the Profile Manager.
It is already unchecked -

>Also, try using the virtual aircraft in the Profile Manager, and see how >that compares to actually using FS Force in MSFS. To access the virtual >aircraft, just edit one of the profiles. You can vary your speed with the >joystick throttle, and land and take off with the on-screen controls. Do >you experience the same problems with the virtual aircraft.

When I use the virtual aircraft, the pavement groove effect stops when I uncheck the "Aircraft on Ground" box. So I do not experience the same problem as with the "real" aircraft.

>Does everything work normally after the re-init?

Yes, until the next touch-and-go.

>As usual, I always recommend making sure your drivers are up-to-date >for your video card AND your sound card.

Got the latest.

cvj

Good News and Bad News

Post by cvj » Sun May 23, 2004 3:14 am

Dear Russell,

The Good News is that the FSForce now works perfectly - and the problem has "disappeared. :P

The Bad News is that I have no idea why! :shock:

Perhaps we should just assign this to the Microsoft Mystery box :twisted:

Cheers,
Claus

RussDirks
Site Admin

Post by RussDirks » Mon May 24, 2004 9:55 am

Glad it's working for you now!
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

Paulstal

Post by Paulstal » Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:00 pm

Hi,

I had a similar problem, with the stick continuing to shake after take-off.
After messing around with adjustments, I found the culprit.
I happen to also use ch-product pedals, and found them to generate brake noise - evenby just resting my feet on the pedals to use the rudder only. -The fix--: check the trigger for brakes box.
That way there the pedal noise can't be picked up, since the brake info. is now from the trigger. I still use the foot brakes, but I no longer get the response (except by the trigger-being used for something else).
The problem didn't happen all the time. It seemed apparent during more aggressive tak-offs(such as cross-winds).
Maybe the noise triggered high speed braking effects to carry on after the take-off?
Strange, but now fixed! :D
Paul S.