LevelD 767 and FsForce in FSX

Discussions and general chat

Moderator: RussDirks

Olli

LevelD 767 and FsForce in FSX

Post by Olli » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:48 pm

Hello Russel,

I am new to the forum but a long time user of fsforce. One of the best addons I ever bought for MSFS!

The first time ever I had trouble with this product started just recently when I installed the LevelD 767 FSX version into FSX and tried to use it with fsforce.

There seem to be problems with the trim system and autopilot and fsforce: The fsforce trimming isn't working (I can't trim the aircraft, the gauge shows up only one time for less than a second and then never again).
Also, the autopilot has no vertical (pitch-up/down) control (heading is working).
Otherwise everything else is working fine with the leveld and fsforce.

When I dissable fsforce the leveld trimming works again and the autopilot, too. It is just a shame to dissable fscorce with the aircraft. It feels so much more real!
I tried to delete the trim assignment in leveld, but that didn't help.

Do you have any idea what the reason for trimming/autopliot problem with the leveld 767 and fsforce could be?
(there were some other non-fsforce issues with the leveld 767, so I waited for their patch to see if it fixes the issue, but it doesn't ...)

Don't know if this problem is more of a fsforce or leveld issue, but anyhow, any advice you may have is welcome.

Leveld 767 is the only addon I have installed (and of course fsforce). All stock-aircraft work just fine.
I have a Microsoft Sidewinder 2, I am running Windows Vista.

Thanks a lot,
Oliver

RussDirks
Site Admin

Post by RussDirks » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:52 am

Apart from the trim gauge not showing up, does the basic function of trimming still work? ie, can you still trim away control forces?

Re the autopilot... probably what is happening is the LevelD uses a custom autopilot system, which sends trim commands to the simulator to affect pitch changes, but the problem is FS Force intercepts all trim commands and prevents them from ever reaching the simulator. I may have to contact LevelD about that. Maybe we can coordinate use of the trim system so we can both do what we need to do.
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

Olli

Post by Olli » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:37 am

Hello Russel,

Thanks for the quick reply!

Concerning your question:
No, the basic trimming function does not work. Hitting the assign buttons doesn't have any effect at all ...

I guess you're right, leveld probably uses very customized systems to reach that level of complexity.
They also had some problems with fsconnect and fsuipc with their initial fsx release. According to what I read in their forum it had something to do with "intercepting commands", as you also suggested. Maybe what ever they did in SP1 to make the plane work with fsuipc may also hint to a solution for fsforce?

If you would have a chance to discuss this with the leveld guys that would be great!

Thanks again,
Oliver

RussDirks
Site Admin

Post by RussDirks » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:22 am

Would you please send me a log file (click here for instructions) with both FS Force and the LevelD 767 running? Just start a flight, press the trim button a couple of times, and then end the flight. Don't do anything more than that so as not to clutter up the log file with a bunch of useless information.

Thanks,
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

Olli

Post by Olli » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:27 am

tried to generate a Simconnect log file, but didn't succeed.
I didn't have a simconnect.ini file so I created the following one as per instructions:

[SimConnect]
level=verbose
console=0
file=c:\simconnect.log

(I also tried with a different path)

I tried copying this file into all kind of folders (my "documents" folder, "flight simulator x files", sfx main folder, modules folder, but I can't get it generating a simconnect.log file.

I hope to have some more time end of the week to figure out what I am doing wrong (if you have any idea ...?).
Otherwise I will be travelling all next week and might not be able to answer regularly that week (not that you wonder if I fall quite for a while).

For now, I can only provide the fsuipc log file, if that is of any help at all (it at least shows that simconnect was opened):
********* FSUIPC4, Version 4.126 by Pete Dowson *********
User Name=""
User Addr=""
FSUIPC4 not user registered
WIDEFS7 not user registered, or expired
Running inside FSX on Windows Vista (SimConnect SP1 May07)
Module base=61000000
DebugStatus=0
94 System time = 20:12:59
94 FLT UNC path = "D:\Admin\Flight Simulator X Files\"
94 FS UNC path = "E:\Microsoft\FSX\"
967 N.B. Axis Intercepts are disabled!
967 LogOptions=00000001
967 SimConnect_Open succeeded: waiting to check version okay
3604 Running in "Microsoft Flight Simulator X", Version: 10.0.61355.0 (SimConnect: 10.0.61242.0)
3604 Initialising SimConnect data requests now
3604 FSUIPC Menu entry added
3650 E:\Microsoft\FSX\FLIGHTS\OTHER\FLTSIM.FLT
3650 E:\Microsoft\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\Aircreation_582SL\Aircreation_582SL.AIR
19563 E:\Microsoft\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\LVLD_B763\B767-300.AIR
65458 System time = 20:14:04, FSX time = 04:11:52 (02:11Z)
71339 Advanced Weather Interface Enabled
85520 System time = 20:14:24, FSX time = 04:12:02 (02:12Z)
85520 *** FSUIPC log file being closed
Memory managed: 8 Allocs, 8 Freed
********* FSUIPC Log file closed ***********

Best regards,
Oliver

RussDirks
Site Admin

Post by RussDirks » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:49 am

I just remembered, you're running Vista, so you have to put your simconnect.ini file in C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files. I'll update the instructions on my web site to reflect that.
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

Olli

Post by Olli » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:55 am

Dear Russel,

Got it!
I guess I can't simply attach the log file to my message here in the forum, correct?
It's a relatively long file.
What's the best way to post it?

Thanks and best regards,
Oliver

RussDirks
Site Admin

Post by RussDirks » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:06 am

Just send it to support@fs-force.com
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

Olli

Post by Olli » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:54 am

Done ...

Thanks,
Oliver

LuftHansi-DK

Post by LuftHansi-DK » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:58 pm

For what it's worth, this is happening on my system too (Level D 767 and FS Force 2.0 under Windows XP). The main effect is that the autopilot is unable to function vertically (altitude wise).

/Hans

RussDirks
Site Admin

Post by RussDirks » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:47 pm

Hans,

Are you finding, like Ollie, that FS Force is also non-functional, or does FS Force work as usual, ie. you can eliminate control forces using the trim buttons?
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

LuftHansi-DK

Post by LuftHansi-DK » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:01 am

The trim buttons do not appear to work. The trim guage came up for a split second the first time I pushed a trim button, but then never appeared again - not even after reinitializing FS Force.

There are forces however (hard to describe, but pretty much vanilla flavored resistance to movement - didn't notice any runway bump simulation).

I'm using a Microsoft Force Feedback 2, and it's an Asus P5B Deluxe with Intel QX6700 + 8800GTX + 4GB + WinXPP.

/Hans

RussDirks
Site Admin

Post by RussDirks » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:50 am

Hans, Ollie, and any others:

If you have time, can you do more testing for me, as follows:

Test 1. Start a flight with LevelD and FS Force both running. I'm assuming the leveld 767 has a trim gauge beside the throttle quadrant. Press and hold one of the trim button, and verify if the trim gauge moves.

Test 2.
- enable FSForce logging : see the bottom of the support page for instructions.
- enable SimConnect logging (instructions are also on the support page).
- start FSX with FS Force enabled, and note the time. It will be helpfull if you provide me with the times that you perform the following actions. This will help me locate the relevant entries in the simconnect log file (all entries are time stamped).
- Start a flight on the active runway, and press the trim button a few times. Note the time.
- Take off. Note the time at the beginning of the take-off roll, and the time of lift-off.
- After lift-off, press the trim buttons a few times. Note the time.
- Climb for about a minute, then level off. Engage the autopilot for about a minute. Note the time you engage and dis-engage the autopilot.
- After the autopilot is turned off, press the trim buttons a few times. Note the time.
- Exit FSX.

Send the SimConnect log file and the FSForce log file to the support email address, as well as the times of the events requested above.

Thanks for your help,
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

Olli

Post by Olli » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:16 am

Just sent the files (the simconnect.log file is rather big (>7MB!), hope it is supposed to be that way and the fiels are helpful for you ...)
Let me know if you need any further testing.

Best regards,
Oliver

LuftHansi-DK

Post by LuftHansi-DK » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:52 pm

I also sent a couple af few days ago (my simconnect.log was also large, at > 6MB)! Hopefully this can contribute in some small way..

Br,
Hans