Trim

Discussions and general chat

Moderator: RussDirks

gderreck

Trim

Post by gderreck » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:40 pm

Greetings and Happy New Year
I just started using FSX and FS Force again after a bit of a lull. OS is Windows 8 64 bit, FSX Deluxe with Acceleration.

Addons:FS Force, FSUIPC, LINDA, FScene World Pack, EZCA, TrackIR 5, Airbus X extended.

Logitech G940.

Above, just in case it matters to the issue at hand.

I installed OS FSX, FS Force, etc, etc. Everything is working quite well (FS Force crashed a couple of times, but I think it has to do with me trying to initialize while FSX was running....DUH.

What I would like to correct is FS Force taking over the trim on profiles where I have assigned trim to FSX. I set up profile, set trim to FSX, open FSX, fly the aircraft and your trim gauge shows up in the simulator. That's OK, we had this discussion before. The problem is that not only is the gauge there, but it is also exerting trim forces on the joystick.

I checked, double checked; deleted the profile, created a new profile. Still did not correct the issue. I have trim set up as Throttle R2 in FSX.

Can you help me out? Thanks again.

RussDirks
Site Admin

Post by RussDirks » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:45 am

Do you see this behaviour for all aircraft, or just some?
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

RussDirks
Site Admin

Post by RussDirks » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:15 am

I ran the following tests:

1. Trim assignments in FSForce.cfg :

Code: Select all

TrimWheel=Joystick:1:RxAxis 
2. Edit a profile, and set trim setting : "FSX"
3. Aircraft : Beechcraft Baron, set to use the above profile
4. start FSX
5. under Settings / Controls, trim button assignments are none, axis trim assignment is "R2"
6. start free flight with the Baron
7. on the ground, make trim adjustments. Observe no trim gauge. Trim wheel on control panel moves as expected.
8. in the air, trim changes produce no trim gauge, pitch changes as expected, trim wheel moves on control panel as expected, no change in joystick centering force.
9. select Addons / FSForce / Trim System / FS Force. Trim changes now produce a trim gauge pop-up, no pitch changes, trim wheel on control panel does not move, joystick centering force changes as expected.
10. select Addons / FSForce / Trim System / FSX. Behaviour now reverts back to same as #8 above.

Try running the same test and see what you get.

Couple of general points. Always exit FSX and FS Force before making any configuration changes. Also, avoid unplugging / re-plugging the joystick. I've noticed that FS Force exhibits strange behaviour the first time you run it after plugging in your joystick.
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

gderreck

Trim

Post by gderreck » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:47 am

Thanks for the reply. I noticed it on the Aircrations ultralite and the Airbus. I set up separate profiles for each. I'll do the test and report back.

gderreck

Trim

Post by gderreck » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:12 pm

I reinstalled FSForce to start fresh. Without any custom profiles, my test was the same as yours. I ran the Medium GA with trim set to FSForce and then FSX. I then created a new profile and assigned the Beech to it. Same deal. Worked ok. I based it on the default profile.

I then created a new profile for the Aircreation ultralite. I set the trim for FSX. When I opened up FSX and accepted the default flight the FSForce trim kicked in. That left me thinking it was the craft. I tried the Beech a few more times (from the ground) with no issues. But I still couldn't get the ultralight accept FSX trim as configured.

I opened FSX and did the Beech flight again from the ground with no issue. Furthermore, I then changed aircraft back to the ultralight. The flight started on the ground. No problem. No FSForce trim.

Finally, I opened FSX and accepted the default flight, with the ultralight flying over Friday Harbour. Same issue. FSForce trim kicked in. I changed over to the Beech, keeping the same flight over Friday Harbour. Guess what...FSForce trim kicked in. It seems that if the aircraft starts on the ground, FSForce plays nice. If it starts in the air (at least with the 2 craft I tested; using the default flight) FSForce overrides the config file and applies FSForce trim.

So that's what I know. What's the fix? Thanks for a great program. It's still the only realistic trim function out there. And thanks in advance for your help.

RussDirks
Site Admin

Post by RussDirks » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:06 am

I'll have to do some testing with flights that start in the air to see if I can duplicate the issue on my machine. For now a temporary workaround would be to start all flights on the ground.
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

gderreck

Trim

Post by gderreck » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:41 pm

Just a follow up. I deleted the trim assignment in FSX for R2. That took care of the issue. Even when I start in the air, if trim is set to FSX, FS Force does not trim the plane. FYI

gderreck

Trim

Post by gderreck » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:08 pm

It appears I'm talking to myself :) Scratch the last post. I did the overfly in Friday Harbour and got FS Force trim when I didn't want it. Everything still good from the ground.