Throttle issue FF2 on P3Dv3

Discussions and general chat

Moderator: RussDirks

adler58

Throttle issue FF2 on P3Dv3

Post by adler58 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:18 pm

Hi Russ,
I found an issue on FSForce2 i just updated and installed on P3Dv3

The application works like usual, but it causes an erratic behaviour of the throttle on my Sidewinder FF2 joystick.
The throttle suddenly goes down to idle for a fraction of second, you can see the lever on the virtual cokpit jumping, and the aircraft consequently loses power and speed for a short interval, stuttering.
This happens more often on high-g maneuvers, but also suddenly during normal flight.

If I close FSForce2, the issue disappears

_alioth_

Re: Throttle issue FF2 on P3Dv3

Post by _alioth_ » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:28 pm

Same problem here with my MSFF2

Prepar3d v3 (before installing FsForce ) has and issue with the engine. If you tap the hand sensor, everything works well. But when stick is perfectly centered and untap the sensor, engine goes to 50%, no matter where the engine dial is. When you hold the stick (or tap the sensor), or uncenter the stick, everything goes ok again.
I have tapperd the sensor hole. So, works ok all the time. It happens with my two MSFF2 joysticks.
I explain this just in case these problems are linked in any way.

Thanks.

RussDirks
Site Admin

Post by RussDirks » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:55 am

I also had problems with the throttle. I was using the G940 at the time. It turned out that there were some rather bizarre control assignments for the throttle that were causing the problem. Check your control assignments for the throttle, both buttons/keys and axis. I think Lockheed Martin accidentally shipped some assignment defaults that were a bit wonky.

If that doesn't solve your problems, please post back here.
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

adler58

Post by adler58 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:49 am

Hi Russ,

I checked the assignments but did not notice strange ones.
I have tapped with a piece of black adhesive tape the sensor hole: the issue is completely disappeared with FSForce disabled, while is still there with FSForce enabled ...

It's sad, I loved the way my FF2 stick worked together with FSForce ... please try to fix that ...

RussDirks
Site Admin

Post by RussDirks » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:52 am

I got out my MSFF2 and ran some tests, and was immediately able to get a repro, but unlike you, I was able to repro when FS Force was NOT running. So I don't think the problem is with FS Force.

I was able to repro by simply taking my hand off the joystick, and then put it back on. About 50% of the time, the throttle would jump when I did that.

Could you please disable FS Force, and try to see if you can repro the problem. I would recommend using Profile Manager to set the EXE and the DLL Launch Options to "Don't Launch".
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

RussDirks
Site Admin

Post by RussDirks » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:56 am

_alioth_, I didn't read your post carefully the first time, but it seems that you are saying you are getting this problem with FS Force NOT running, is that correct?
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

adler58

Post by adler58 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:59 pm

RussDirks wrote:I got out my MSFF2 and ran some tests, and was immediately able to get a repro, but unlike you, I was able to repro when FS Force was NOT running. So I don't think the problem is with FS Force.

I was able to repro by simply taking my hand off the joystick, and then put it back on. About 50% of the time, the throttle would jump when I did that.

Could you please disable FS Force, and try to see if you can repro the problem. I would recommend using Profile Manager to set the EXE and the DLL Launch Options to "Don't Launch".
Yes, the problem shows also when FSForce is not running. But tapping the sensor hole with a dark tape fixes the issue, even if in an improper way.
If I start FSForce the issue is back there, worse than before, even with hole tapped ... :(

RussDirks
Site Admin

Post by RussDirks » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:55 am

I can verify that the problem appears worse when FS Force is running, but since the root problem is with P3D, there is nothing I can do.

I have started a thread on the LM forums regarding this. I would encourage anyone who is experiencing this issue to go and post a "Me Too" type of message so we can get some recognition of this problem. The thread is entitled Another controller problem : MSFF2 & erratic throttle movement.
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

adler58

Post by adler58 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:47 am

No answer from LM staff...

But obscuring the sensor the joystick works well with FSForce disabled...
Aren't you able to get it working with FSForce2 enabled keeping the sensor hole closed?

adler58

Post by adler58 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:26 pm

Yes LM answered, I hope they will fix this

jonathan_f

Post by jonathan_f » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:45 pm

RussDirks wrote:I got out my MSFF2 and ran some tests, and was immediately able to get a repro, but unlike you, I was able to repro when FS Force was NOT running. So I don't think the problem is with FS Force.

I also have an issue with FS Force operating in P3D v3.

I am not seeing the issue when FS Force is disabled which I think points to the issue being with FS Force rather than P3D.

RussDirks
Site Admin

Post by RussDirks » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:47 am

@jonathan_f:
If everyone was getting the same results as you, I would agree with you that the problem is in FS Force. But in fact everyone else is seeing the problem manifest when FS Force is running AND when it is NOT running, so that points to the problem being with P3D, although as some have mentioned, the problem appear to be a bit worse when FS Force is running. The other thing to consider is that my program has not changed at all, except some very minor changes to recognize the higher version number, whereas P3D has obviously undergone major code changes.

Don't worry, I want this problem fixed just as much as you! But there is nothing I can do about it. I can't control the way the raw data is transmitted from the joystick to the P3D application, and how P3D handles that data.

I would encourage you to try a few more times to see if you can get the problem to manifest when FS Force is NOT running, and if you can, add a post to the thread I started on the LM forums. The more noise people make, the more likely that they will allocate some resources to fix the problem.
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

RussDirks
Site Admin

Post by RussDirks » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:52 pm

Good news!! LM has found the problem and will have a fix out in the next release.
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

adler58

Post by adler58 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:49 am

RussDirks wrote:Good news!! LM has found the problem and will have a fix out in the next release.
Thank you Russ, great news! LM is behaving correctly, I appreciate very much :)

adler58

Post by adler58 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:48 pm

Sad news at Christmas... sorry to report...

Just installed Prepar3D v3.1 which should have fixed the bug, but...
The throttle now behaves correctly (almost...) but the STICK moves in an erratic way specially when trying to do maneuvers... I fell down to the ground two times, unable to recover...

Sad news, FSForce still unusable, I have to turn it off to fly :(