Forces disappearing intermittently

Discussions and general chat

Moderator: RussDirks

wiltzei

Forces disappearing intermittently

Post by wiltzei » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:27 pm

Hello, I've noticed all the forces dropping off, and instantly returning. Its quite bad if you happen to have strong forces on the stick. This happens time and time again at seemingly random (10-20s) intervals. Have narrowed reason to FSF with a Force Feedback tester program, no drop-offs with that. FSF priority nor Trim System have any effect.

Running P3D2, and latest version of FSF.

RussDirks
Site Admin

Re: Forces disappearing intermittently

Post by RussDirks » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:00 am

I think you are a long time FSF user, yes? When did these problems start, and did anything else on your computer change at that time?
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

wiltzei

Post by wiltzei » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:30 pm

FSX always worked fine, this might be a relatively new phenomenon, can't recall exactly when noted this the first time. With P3D2, though.

Software Protection Service has acted weirdly (haven't reinstalled Windows in years), have noticed that it always starts with FSF. I'm assuming its it used for licence&demo area checking? Sometimes SPS disconnected all my usb devices after shutting down, but somewhow it worked out.

RussDirks
Site Admin

Post by RussDirks » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:02 am

wiltzei wrote:Software Protection Service has acted weirdly ...
By Software Protection Service, do you mean this, or just the normal UAC security prompt that comes up when you start programs that require elevated privileges? A screenshot would help to clarify things.

You will normally get a UAC prompt when you start Profile Manager, but you shouldn't get anything when you start fsforce.exe (which of course gets started automatically).

Please list all controllers attached to your system, in the order shown in the USB Controllers dialog. Also please post the [GENERAL] section of FSFORCE.CFG.
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

wiltzei

Post by wiltzei » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:18 am

Code: Select all

[General]
TrimClickAmount=10
TrimIndicator=0
PauseOnTaskSwitch=0
FSXFolder=H:\FSX\
dwStartDelay=1
DemoAreaInfo=1
KeyTrimUp=Shift+U
KeyTrimDown=Shift+Y
ReInit=Ctrl+Shift+Y
Restart=Ctrl+Shift+U
Controller=SideWinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick
Errorlevel=1
NotifyDXErrors=0
Getting only 1 UAC prompt during starting the sim, superficially everything is OK there.

The SP service shutting down had something to do with controllers disappearing, so threw it out if it happened to have some part with this thread. If you don't use it, then its prolly used by LM
Attachments
gc.GIF
gc.GIF (28.01 KiB) Viewed 52231 times
Untitled.gif
Untitled.gif (34.97 KiB) Viewed 52231 times

RussDirks
Site Admin

Post by RussDirks » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:04 am

FS Force doesn't do anything with SPS.
wiltzei wrote: Getting only 1 UAC prompt during starting the sim, superficially everything is OK there.
What program is triggering the prompt? What does it say beside "Program Name" and "Verified Publisher"? It shouldn't be FS Force.

Also, you might want to explicitly program in your trim command buttons, rather than leaving them to default. ie, if you're using button 4 and 3 for trim up / down ...

Code: Select all

JoystickTrimUp=Joystick:0:Button:3
JoystickTrimDown=Joystick:0:Button:2
Also, try unplugging your racing wheel (you don't use it with the flight sim, do you?).
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

wiltzei

Post by wiltzei » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:30 pm

P3D2 asks the permission only.

Unplugging the wheel did nothing, using it for extra buttons.

Alternative trim commands did nothing as well.

RussDirks
Site Admin

Post by RussDirks » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:58 am

I am running out of things to suggest. Unfortunately there have always been a small percentage of MSFF2 users who have reported these problems. I was just working with another customer who was having the same problems as you, and we could find no solution. Then, quite apart from what we were trying to solve with his joystick, he went and upgraded his video card to a newer model, and the problems went away!! I myself have a MSFF2 that has worked well for many years, but when I purchased a new desktop computer a few years ago, I started noticing similar problems. But then, after upgrading to Windows 10 a few weeks ago, I have noticed the problems are gone??? It is frustrating when the problem is so far out of your reach to even understand, let alone solve.
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

wiltzei

Post by wiltzei » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:08 am

Could this be anyhow related to Simconnect, or sim's performance (do you read some values from there, and if they aren't updated, then FSF stops or something)

RussDirks
Site Admin

Post by RussDirks » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:44 am

It could be, but I think the root of the problem is deeper, right down to the DirectX / Windows OS layer.
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

stampee

Post by stampee » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:21 am

Hello: I am a registered user. I run prepar3d version 3. I have a msff2. I also am losing forcefeedback intermittently. I can re enable force feedback by pausing the sim and then unpausing. It appears that when ATC issues a voice command things get worse and I lose forces more often, but this is not always the case.
I also notice that forces will become weaker sometimes, and other times they will completely stop.

I am on an intel 4790k. I have frames locked and presume I am not overtaxing the cpu, as everything else appears steady and working ok.
I have an hd 7900 video card.

Thank you
-stampee

RussDirks
Site Admin

Post by RussDirks » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:22 am

stampee,

Sorry things aren't working well for you. Your symptoms seem consistent with what others are experiencing. Unfortunately I have nothing new to add at this time. Will definitely keep you posted if something new develops.
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

stampee

Post by stampee » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:00 am

Russ: Thank you for your response.
I thought I had the problem solved I set static forces to fade out 100 mph faster then I ever fly and things seemed to work fine for an hour or so, then I started losing forces once again.
I notice you said some forces may not stack well with others.
can you recommend some basic force settings I could try so as to NOT stack forces as it were?
Thank you
-kerry

RussDirks
Site Admin

Post by RussDirks » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:30 am

Kerry,

Basically I would try to avoid combining static and/or friction forces with the basic centering force. So when you're on the ramp you could have the static/friction forces active, but they should fade out as you increase speed on your take-off run, when the centering force is starting to kick in.
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator