Helicopters??

Discussions and general chat

Moderator: RussDirks

MCDesigns

Helicopters??

Post by MCDesigns » Sat Nov 01, 2003 3:41 am

First off, this is great news, looking forward to trying it out. I fly rotorywing about 70% of the time and MS has not modelled any FF into these models, other than the occasional bumps with the skids. Have you tested it with helicopters and can/ will this do anything for them?

Thanks, Michael

RussDirks
Site Admin

Post by RussDirks » Sat Nov 01, 2003 4:28 am

Good question. I've often wonder that myself! :) I've never flown a real helicopter, so I have no idea how the controls should feel. Is there a centering force? Does it vary with airspeed? Are the controls very loose, or stiff? Do helicopters have trim mechanisms?

In reality, it shouldn't matter, because FS Force is completely programmable. You can add friction and / or damping to change the way the controls feel. The centering force is normally airspeed dependent, but you can change the shape of the "force graph" so it is flat ... ie. same centering force no matter what airspeed.

I don't have it in there now, but I suppose I could add some kind of vibration effect that would be active even when you're in the air. I've heard there is sometimes a bit of vibration that you can feel through the collective.

If you can think of any other effects that would be good for a helicopter, let me know.
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

Metro7Wayne

Post by Metro7Wayne » Mon Dec 29, 2003 10:51 pm

Hi Russ,

I was wondering if you ever included any helicopter profiles in FS Force?

Best regards.

Wayne
Metro 7 / NMH07
Metro Helicopters VA
www.metrohelo.org

RussDirks
Site Admin

Post by RussDirks » Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:47 pm

I did, but I left all the settings "flat". You'll have to tweak it to how you think it should feel. Like I've said before, I've never flown in a real helicopter.
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

Ingo

Post by Ingo » Thu Jan 01, 2004 4:26 am

I will shortly describe how a helicopter-Trimm works.
Yes there are centering forces for all 3 achses.
These are not caused by any aerodynmics but springs (or equal technics) connected to the stick keep it in the middle or move it back there when not forced by the pilot.
A separate trimm for every of the 3 achses is needed to move the center point.
On an usual Helicopter-Stick you have some kind of coolie hat for Trimming Roll an Nick and some button to move the Center Point of the stick to that position you actual hold. (You move the stick to some position, press that button, and it keeps there if you release the stick).
An usual setup for the MS FF2 would be as follow
Centering forces for Nick and Roll not dependig on any aerodynamics, speed or so, only adjustable in the FS Force Controll-Center.
The Center-Point is movable by the coolie-hat and move to the actuel position (holded by the pilot) by pressing button one ore may bee 2.
The Heck-Rotor-Trimm (Gier) should be adjustet by Button 3 and 4.

As a helicopter Pilot you have to deal with trimming of all 3 achses for different flying conditions (Hover, Cruising, ...)

RussDirks
Site Admin

Post by RussDirks » Thu Jan 01, 2004 4:58 am

Wow ... thanks for the info! That's awsome. :) So it sounds like you could do at least a partial job of simulating a helicopter with FS Force. Just set up centering forces that start at a very low airspeed and stay constant. The only limitation is that FS Force only allows trimming on one axis.
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

Metro7Wayne

Post by Metro7Wayne » Thu Jan 01, 2004 10:07 pm

Russ,

I spoke with my brother about this. He is a Professor of Aeronautical Engineering, specializing in helicopter structures. He promised to get some additional detailed information for us from another member of his department who works on helicopter flight controls. I will advise as soon as I hear back from him.

Regards,

Wayne
Metro 7
www.metrohelo.org