Aerosoft Diamond Katana DA20 air file v.1.8

Discussions and general chat

Moderator: RussDirks

Aerosoft Diamond Katana DA20 air file v.1.8

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:17 am

This profile is specifically for the Aerosoft Diamond Katana DA20. It is suitable for both the 80 and 100hp variants and the .air file version 1.8.

It specifically addresses known flight characteristics of the Katana - stiff in pitch with a short-throw stick, leisurely in roll thanks to long-span high aspect ratio wings and corrects an anomaly in the default FDE whereby the trim change in certain phases of flight can be excessive, leading to insufficient elevator authority unless it's trimmed quickly.

My tip for this aircraft is to leave the keyboard default trim allied with the FS Force trim command, as it is necessary to alter the FS2004 trim. Trim using the keyboard to placate MSFS, then trim the forces out with the joystick buttons acting on FS Force only!

I will shortly be flying a Katana DA20 with a Rotax engine and will refine this FS Force profile after test flying the real deal.
:)

[Katana]
ID=Profile
AileronForcePoints=0,0,25,0,99,20,168,43,210,43,237,75
ElevatorForcePoints=0,0,25,4,51,46,115,85,172,91,217,98
ElevatorWeight=38
GroundOps=Basic
AileronFriction=30
AileronDamping=10
ElevatorFriction=75
ElevatorDamping=30
MechanicalCutoff=35
LandingTransition=-300
LandingHardBase=60
LandingMaxForce=-500
LandingMinForce=30
LandingWingsLevel=5
BrakeStrength=100
BrakeVibrationPeriod=80
BrakeVibrationStrength=17
BrakeVibrationDirection=75
BrakeVibrationStartRamp=70
BrakeVibrationEndRamp=30
GearThumpMagnitude=30
GearThumpPeriod=350
GearBuffetDuration=12
GearBuffetMinForce=5
GearBuffetForce=20
GearBuffetBasePeriod=140
GearBuffetModulatingPeriod=600
CorneringMaxSpeed=20
CorneringMaxCrosswind=30
GroundOpsGain=1.0

Simon Evans

Joel

Post by Joel » Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:56 am

Hi Simon,
Thanks for this profile! Look forward to your refinements too.

I am uncertain, though, about your instruction with respect to microsoft's trim and still using it along with this profile. Wonder if you can elaborate on that a bit?

Best regards,

Joel

Trim...

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:11 am

Joel wrote:Hi Simon,
Thanks for this profile! Look forward to your refinements too.

I am uncertain, though, about your instruction with respect to microsoft's trim and still using it along with this profile. Wonder if you can elaborate on that a bit?

Best regards,

Joel
Yeah, sorry Joel, having a bit of trouble with the old firewall last night and rather rushed (and double posted) this! Allow me to clarify:

Normal advice with FS Force is to separate the keyboard function of the default trim from the function of the force trim applied through FS Force. In this way you set a trim for the aircraft for takeoff then forget about it for the rest of the flight, adjusting trim solely through FS Force.

This works for the majority of aircraft in FS2004, default or aftermarket, but I have noticed there are one or two like the Katana, that have what feels like an excessive amount of trim change depending in airspeed, power setting, flap deployment or whatever... Although FS Force allows one to dial out the trim force, the amount of trim required actually impinges on the effectiveness of the elevator, sometimes leaving too little elevator authority to hold the nose up, as in a steep turn onto finals from base, with landing flap deployment and a power reduction.

then you need to have the ability to move the default trim. Trouble is, with THREE different trim controls things can get mighty confusing, so what I do is leave the keyboard assignment for FS Force and MSFS trim the same (`insert` and `delete` keys in my case, but you can use any key including the default key assignment). All I have to remember is that it's `keyboard first, then joystick` when adjusting trim - the keyboard changes the physical trim in FS2004, then you simply `dial out` the forces as normal via FS Force using the joystick or yoke buttons.

Hope that's clearer! :roll:

Simon

Joel

Post by Joel » Sun Apr 11, 2004 10:09 am

Think I got it now, thanks!

Joel

Trim tweak for the Katana

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:39 pm

Joel wrote:Think I got it now, thanks!

Joel
I trust you got the Katana installed OK in the end..? Try this adjustment to the aircraft.cfg
elevator_trim_effectiveness=2.0 //1.0

This works in conjunction with the Profile above to make for a much nicer DA20 experience!

Regards,

Simon

Joel

Post by Joel » Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:33 pm

Seems to be installed fine, but interestingly still does not show up for profile selection. I did create a custom profile for it, though, which can be assigned manually.

I'll try your trim adjustment later, I'm guessing this slows down how quickly trim changes within FS?

Joel

Snave

Post by Snave » Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:39 am

Joel wrote:Seems to be installed fine, but interestingly still does not show up for profile selection. I did create a custom profile for it, though, which can be assigned manually.

I'll try your trim adjustment later, I'm guessing this slows down how quickly trim changes within FS?

Joel
It doubles the effective strength of per-unit trim adjustment. Together with the FS Force profile you spend less time actually tweaking the trim, so you fool your brain into thinking there is less adjustment required. I've provided some flight test notes to the developers and hope that the FDE guy, who is known for his persistence in improving flight models over time, will take on board some of the suggestions. Failing that I'll re-vamp the flight model myself to specifically suit FF users with FS Force.
Simon Evans

Joel

Post by Joel » Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:19 am

Now if we can only get rid of that FPS-eating ugly arm in the VC, I'd be very happy... I've got an idea for that actually, got to find the time to mess with the bitmaps a bit. Does it bother you too?

Best,

Joel

Snave

Post by Snave » Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:32 pm

Joel wrote:Now if we can only get rid of that FPS-eating ugly arm in the VC, I'd be very happy... I've got an idea for that actually, got to find the time to mess with the bitmaps a bit. Does it bother you too?

Best,

Joel
Oh yeah baby! :evil:

Amputation or Art! If it don't look like an arm, move like an arm and smell like an armpit after a greenhouse canopy session in the Nevada sunshine I don't want it! Let's lose that sucker..!
:wink:
Simon Evans