CTD on startup P3D v4.5

Discussions and general chat

Moderator: RussDirks

akstirling

CTD on startup P3D v4.5

Post by akstirling » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:25 pm

Hi ... have run Appcrashview to see what is happening with the crash happening when i try to start P3D, and notice FsFrorce mentioned in the output, as per attachment .....
Attachments
CTD.txt
(17.96 KiB) Downloaded 1904 times

RussDirks
Site Admin

Re: CTD on startup P3D v4.5

Post by RussDirks » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:32 am

Are you sure it was a CTD? Based on the error report you uploaded, it looks more like an application hang that you then terminated via Task Manager. (ie. "Prepar3D exe is not responding", and "AppHangXProcB1").

The error report shows that you have a number of other addons loaded as well. Have you tried disabling FS Force to see if the problem goes away? You can disable FS Force easily from Profile Manager (Options / Launch Options). Saves you the trouble of uninstalling and re-installing.
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

akstirling

Post by akstirling » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:49 am

Hi Russell .... with FSF disabled sim starts OK ........

RussDirks
Site Admin

Post by RussDirks » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:01 am

How far does P3D get before it hangs? Does it make it to the flight preparation screen? Or does it hang when a flight is loading? Or after the flight has been underway for awhile? Please provide as much information as possible.
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

RussDirks
Site Admin

Post by RussDirks » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:03 am

And also, please clarify ... are you getting a CTD or a program hang? It makes a difference as to how I approach diagnosing the issue.
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

akstirling

Post by akstirling » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:35 pm

Inevitably as soon as i report the problem it disappears ...... sim running with FSF installed .....

akstirling

Post by akstirling » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:37 am

An unrelated question if i may .... have licences for both FSX and P3D, have both sims installed .... is it possible to run both from a singe install???

RussDirks
Site Admin

Post by RussDirks » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:59 am

Absolutely! You only need one FSF install. The only issue is that if you install a new sim after FSF is installed, you need to re-install FSF so it can configure itself for the new sim.

Just a comment about the original issue in case it ever happens to you again ... there are certain situations where FSF displays a pop-up dialog with some kind of message that you have to acknowledge and dismiss. While that message is up FSX/P3D is blocked. FSF tries to make sure the message is displayed in front of the sim, but on some rare occasions the message ends up behind the sim where you can't see it, and so it seems like the sim is hung for no reason. I don't know for sure if that is what was happening in your situation, but usually you can get around that by Alt-Tab'ing or using the TaskBar to bring the message up front where you can see it and dismiss it.
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator