Braking force effect not working, fs force 2

Discussions and general chat

Moderator: RussDirks

crim3d

Braking force effect not working, fs force 2

Post by crim3d » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:57 pm

I was not having braking effect on the ground (the stick pushing forward effect) in fs force 2, although it worked when I tried fs force 1 demo in fs2004 long ago. As it's not such an import effect never really bothered to report this here.

But the other day, I used the brake key for some reason instead of the toe brakes of my pedals and the joystick reproduced the braking effect. I just forgot that this effect exists and surprised me, and I liked it also.

So this is the situation: with the latest version of fs force 2 (and former versions by the way) for FSX I have the braking effect only if I use the keyboard to brake and never when using the toe brakes on the rudder pedals.

I also have problems with the cornering force effect. I don't have it at all but for some reason, I have felt it a bit in spare ocassions. It may be related with the other effect. I'll test this last point with more detail. It has just came to my mind now while writing this post.

My specs: MSFFB2, Saitek X-52 (using only the throttle), Saitek pro pedals, FSX with Acceleration pack and win7 32 bits (although the problem was the same in winxp).

crim3d

Post by crim3d » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:29 am

The cornering force is working, forget about that part.

RussDirks
Site Admin

Post by RussDirks » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:23 am

There may be some issues with the braking force not working with toe brakes. I'll have a look at that next week.
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

RussDirks
Site Admin

Post by RussDirks » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:39 am

Just uploaded 2.5.0.4, which should work better with rudder pedal/toe brake setups. Try it out and let me know if it works better.
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

crim3d

Post by crim3d » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:50 pm

Thank you. I'll try to test it as soon as possible and report back.

crim3d

Post by crim3d » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:49 pm

Ok, I've been testing for a while.

The braking force isn't still there. :( To be sure that I'm not using any weird setting, I've backed up all my settings, removed then and copied the ones that come with the installer, but still no luck.

I've found something that may be interesting. The braking vibrations are working with the toe brakes, although they are very mild. I don't know wether that's intended or not.
Anyway, the interesting part is that if I press the '.' key while I'm braking with the toe brakes, the braking vibrations become VERY strong regardless of the speed AND it only happens if the braking that I'm applying with the toe brakes is below 100% (less than full braking pedal range).

It's very consistent:
- Brake key ('.')-> braking force, no braking vibrations
- Any braking with pedals -> no braking force, mild braking vibrations
- Full brakes and brake key ('.') -> braking force, mild braking vibrations
- No full brakes (more than 0% braking, less thatn 100%) and brake key ('.') -> braking force, strong braking vibrations

Let me know if you want me to do any other specific test, try configuration files or whatever.

RussDirks
Site Admin

Post by RussDirks » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:39 pm

1. Keep in mind that vibrations are only felt at high ground speed (ie. after landing). They fade out once you slow down. You can configure that in Profile Manager.
2. Sounds like your toe brakes are not generating full braking signals. Have you calibrated them properly? Go into Windows Control Panel / Game Controllers, and calibrate the toe brakes so Windows knows the full extent of signals generated by the toe brakes.
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

crim3d

Post by crim3d » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:11 am

If I use together the keyboard and the pedals, even when I'm about to stop, the vibration exists and is very strong. The speeds configuration is ignored.
I know that pressing the pedals and the brake key at the same time is not a normal situation, but as such a strange result arises, I thought it could help you in finding what's wrong.

The pedals are the saitek ones, so they are calibrated every time I start windows and move them their full range.
Furthermore, what it's odd is that the vibration stops when I press the pedals completely, and returns when I rise them a bit. The vibration also disappears when I release them. So the full range is working. Maybe you were understanding the opposite situation.

As I'm using several controllers, I thought that it could be that another's controller axis was also configured as toe brake. But I have checked the controllers axis in FSX and there isn't any conflict.

I'll try to explain myself with an example:
I've just landed the f-18. I press the pedals a bit to begin decelerating. No braking force.
With the pedals still pressed, I press the '.' key. Then there is braking force plus high speed braking vibrations and are very strong. The joystick shakes in its place.
Then, I press the pedals to the bottom, still holding the '.' key. The braking force is still there but vibrations are gone.
I release a bit the pedals, still holding '.'. The vibrations are back.
Finally, if I keep everything like this (half pedals, '.' key down), the vibrations don't disappear until the plane completely stops.

I'm sorry for my english, I'm trying my best to make you understand me.

crim3d

Post by crim3d » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:23 pm

I have found this at the logfile:

Code: Select all

DLL SimConnect Client : Acceleration
EXE SimConnect Client : Acceleration
Error in routine MechanicalEffects.UpdateForces1  : 
DIERR_NOTEXCLUSIVEACQUIRED & VFW_E_FILTER_ACTIVE & DMO_E_TYPE_NOT_ACCEPTED : The operation cannot be performed unless the device is acquired in DISCL_EXCLUSIVE mode. & This operation cannot be performed because the filter is active.
Error in routine AirEffect.Load[1]  : 
DIERR_NOTEXCLUSIVEACQUIRED & VFW_E_FILTER_ACTIVE & DMO_E_TYPE_NOT_ACCEPTED : The operation cannot be performed unless the device is acquired in DISCL_EXCLUSIVE mode. & This operation cannot be performed because the filter is active.
Error in routine AirEffect.Load[2] :  : 
Error in routine MechanicalEffects.Init[1]  : 
Error in routine MechanicalEffects.Init[2]  : 
Error in routine LandingBump.Init1  : 
Error in routine LandingBump.Init2  : 
Error in routine LandingBump.Init3  : 
Error in routine CorneringEffect.Init : 
Error in routine AirEffect.ProgramForces (1)  : 
Error in routine MechanicalEffects.UpdateForces1  : 

RussDirks
Site Admin

Post by RussDirks » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:21 pm

Make sure you have FF turned off in FSX
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

RussDirks
Site Admin

Post by RussDirks » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:54 am

I'd like to send you a debug version of FS Force that will assist in finding the problem. Please send me an email at support [at] fs-force [dot] com.
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

crim3d

Post by crim3d » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:16 pm

RussDirks wrote:Make sure you have FF turned off in FSX
It's turned off.
That log may have been generated when launching FSX after a FSX crash. I may have not close fsforce manually after the crash and after launching FSX again threre were two instances of fsforce.
I mean, that post with the log content was in the wrong direction in order to find what's my problem, sorry.

I'll send you a mail.

RussDirks
Site Admin

Post by RussDirks » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:17 am

I found a bug in the program. It turns out that just before releasing 2.5.0.4 I made one small change which inadvertantly disabled braking forces for toe brakes. Ooops! 2.5.0.5 is now available. Try it out and let me know if it works.

Please note that braking using the keyboard and toe brakes at the same time is not supported. FS Force receives conflicting signals in this situation, and is likely to produce very erratic forces (FF cutting in and out very quickly).

Also keep in mind that braking vibrations are only felt above certain speeds, as defined in the profile. Also, they fade in and out gradually. For example, if you're flying the C172 using the default profile, you will only experience the strongest braking vibrations above 70 kts ground speed. You can adjust the ramping values and the intensity values in the profile manager.
Russel Dirks
Forum Moderator

crim3d

Post by crim3d » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:04 am

It's working perfectly now :!: Good job.
Thanks a lot.